Getting one or more dental implants is a decision that can stand to improve your life for the better. While it is considered a cosmetic dentistry procedure, getting a dental implant actually serves to stabilize the bone in your jaw through a process called osseointegration, in which the surrounding bone fuses to the implant. In addition, the dental implant restores the function of natural teeth, allowing you to chew, talk and live life with confidence that your smile is at its best.
While dental implant surgery can be done right at the dentist’s office, it is still a surgical procedure, which means you’ll want to find out some specifics before choosing the dentist or prosthodontist who is the best fit for you.
With this in mind, here are some questions the American College of Prosthodontists recommends you ask during a consultation, whether you’re talking with us here at the DaVinci Dentistry office, or with another dentist.
Dental implant questions
- How often do you do this procedure?
- How many times have you done this procedure?
- What has been your training in this procedure? How long was it? (Weekend course, lecture, 14-20 weeks CE at a dental school, or years of specialty training at an accredited dental school?)
- Where were you taught?
- Do you take lifelong learning / continuing education credit and if so, when, where, how often and in what area?
- What’s the success rate for this procedure for me, and how long will it last?
- How long will the procedure take from beginning until I have my permanent teeth?
- Will I have to be without teeth for any period of time?
- How much will it cost for the entire treatment from start to completion?
- How much will it cost for follow-up maintenance of my restoration?
- What are alternative treatment options for this procedure?
- What training do you have in these alternative options?
- May I get my treatment plan in writing?
- How do you feel about me getting a second opinion?
At DaVinci Dentistry in Southlake, TX, Dr. Raed Ajouni is an experienced esthetic dentist who has received recognition from the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, and Dr. Khal Ajlouni is a prosthodontist with three years of advanced training in the design, manufacture and fitting of artificial replacements for teeth, including dental implant therapy. Contact us to set up your appointment, where we look forward to answering all of your questions and working with you. 817-251-9333.