There are several risk factors associated with sleep apnea that you should be aware of:
- Men are 2-3x more likely to suffer from the disorder.
- Sleep Apnea is more prevalent in those over age 40.
- Carrying excess weight increases the risk of this disorder.
- A family history of this disorder increases one’s chance of suffering from it.
- Smokers are 3x more likely to suffer from obstructive sleep apnea.
To reduce your risk, keep a healthy weight and lose weight if needed. Follow a healthy regimen of diet and exercise. Aim to exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. Avoid food high in processed carbs and fat and focus on eating healthy proteins, fresh fruit, and vegetables. If you smoke, try to quit by seeking support, checking out the American Lung Association website for tips, and talking to your doctor.
Sleep apnea is a serious condition with many complications. Work to reduce the risks that are in your control. There is good news: treatment is available through the use of a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine that fits over your nose and mouth and blows air into your airway while you sleep. Your dentist can discuss this option with you as well as other dental appliances used to treat sleep apnea.
If you or someone you know could be suffering from sleep apnea, we are here to help. Please reach out to DaVinci Dentistry at 817.251.9333 to schedule an appointment. We gladly welcome patients at DaVinci Dentistry from Southlake, TX and the surrounding areas.