You may have heard of dental crowns and bridges, but unless you’ve needed them in the past or have had a dentist explain to you how these can impact your oral health and smile, it’s likely this restorative option is a bit of a mystery to you. Rest assured, DaVinci Dentistry in Southlake, TX, wants to make sure you know the process involved as well as the difference between a crown and a bridge so you can make the most informed decision possible.
Bridges and crowns are prosthetic devices, but unlike dentures that can be removed daily by the patient, crowns and bridges are fixed prosthetic devices that only we, your dentists, can remove.
When do I need dental crowns?
Not only do crowns improve the appearance of your teeth, they also can help make them stronger.
Dental Crowns are most commonly used for:
- strengthening a tooth with a large filling that doesn’t have enough remaining tooth structure to hold the filling;
- protecting a weak tooth;
- covering a tooth after root canal treatment;
- covering discolored or misshapen teeth;
- covering dental implants; and
- attaching bridges.
When do I need a bridge?
While crowns are used to cover a single tooth, a bridge is needed if you are missing one or more teeth. This is because when a tooth is missing, the remaining teeth can shift into the gap left behind, leading to problems with your bite that may result in temporomandibular joint problems as well as gum disease.
Bridges are most commonly used for:
- keeping remaining teeth in place;
- distributing the forces in your bite;
- preserving your face shape;
- restoring your smile; and
- regaining the ability to chew and speak properly.
There are several types of bridges, and if you’re a patient living in Southlake, TX or the surrounding areas, the team at DaVinci Dentistry will go over with you in detail what option may work best. Our board-certified prosthodontist, Dr. Khal, will take the time to let you know what to expect, so that your journey to a smile makeover will be as smooth and predictable as possible.