The Process for Dental Implants
Getting Dental Implants in Southlake
You may be curious about how long it takes to get dental implants. After having a consultation with our board-certified prosthodontist and determining your candidacy for dental implants, we will come up with a customized treatment plan just for you. The number of surgeries and type of procedures that are needed depends on each patient’s condition. For example, it may be necessary for some patients to have teeth extracted or even bone grafting beforehand if there is not adequate bone tissue.
Generally speaking, here’s what you can expect at DaVinci Dentistry:
1. A consultation and treatment planning appointment where we scan the teeth and bone structure and develop a personalized treatment plan
2. *If Applicable* Any damaged teeth that are still in the mouth are removed. This procedure only requires a local anesthetic, and it takes up to four weeks for the gums to heal after extractions.
3. *If Applicable* If bone grafting is necessary, your dental implant specialist in Southlake will take a very small amount of bone from another area (typically the back of the jaw) and grafts, or attaches, it where needed. The healing process can take anywhere from 4-12 months.
4. The dental implants can now be placed. This involves making small incisions in the gums and drilling a titanium post into the jawbone. We know this sounds frightening but don’t worry, you will be under anesthesia and will not feel anything! The implants then take several months to fuse with your jaw.
5. Next, the abutment or connector piece is placed so that a temporary replacement tooth can be attached to the fixture (implant post). This helps keep everything in place while your gums heal. It’s also a way to “test drive” the right color and fit before the permanent restoration is made.
6. After the second healing period, the final step is the placement of the prosthesis or permanent replacement tooth. This prosthesis is custom made to blend in seamlessly with your other teeth and compliment your mouth and facial features. With a brand new smile, get ready to have a new sense of confidence and outlook on life!
Dental implants are not a quick fix.
It takes time to properly rebuild your smile so that you can completely regain the original function and appearance of your mouth before tooth loss. With a little patience and dedication, you will achieve a beautiful new smile and a new way of life!
Your New Smile Starts Now!
Contact Us to Plan Your Visit
DaVinci Dentistry offers the best balance of quality, value, and personalized care for you and your family in Southlake.